Friday, July 24, 2009

My thoughts on the Harry Potter 6 Movie


Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is by far my favorite book of the Harry Potter series, so going into the movie i expected to be disappointed. While this may not be the best attitude to go into a movie with, i believe i actually enjoyed the movie more because my expectations where set so low.

First, lets get my one complaint out of the way, the burrow scene where the Weasleys house catches on fire? Totally made up.I have no idea why they put that scene in there! If one thing ruined the movie for me, that would be it. Other than that though, i was surprised how close the director stuck to the books. Although there was some liberties taken to shorten a 700 page book into a movie, generally i was impressed.

The art direction of the movie is what really drew me in, the lighting and stylistic camera angles really helped create a dark atmosphere indicitive of the bad things going on in the world. The scene where Dumbledor and Harry use the pensive to visit Voldemort in the orphanage was really beautiful. The washed out, grainy, filter used to potray the darkness of the situation stood out to me more than anything in the movie.

Visuals aside, the most suprising part about the 6th installment in the Harry Potter movies, was the realization of some core characters. Malfoy's actor was never my favorite character, but in this movie he finally seemed to begin emoting his tortured choice of fufilling his task vs facing his own death. Another actor who suprised me was Proffesor Slughorn! In the books i imagined him as a rather bland character, and ultimatley ended up disliking him. The movie actor however, brought life into the character! So much in fact, that he became one of my favorite characters!

**note** this post isn't completed, i'm working on this in a kind of free flow way as i remember my experiences with the movie :) :)!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

They burned down the Weasley's house so they have an excuse to skip the wedding scene (aka the first 1/4th of the book) when they do Movie 7.