Sunday, September 14, 2008

Personal Spotlight #1: Lauren Beck

I would first like to preface this post with a short comment as this spotlight is my first.

This spotlight is not a means for me to elevate my friends, nor is it a place for me to gush about young ladies i fancy. My purpose in writing this is to record the thoughts and feelings i have on those select people whose example has made a significant impression on my life.

Now...
Today my focus will be on my somewhat recently acquired friend, Lauren Beck. When I first met Lauren, I thought nothing of it. She was a nice girl yes, but given my current ninth grade age I was too cocky and too arrogant to warrant a serious measure of respect from her. It was not until my sophmore year that i noticed her again, in a basic physics class on the opposite end of the room. I did not pay much attention to her at first, i had other friends to talk too. But the silent seeds of her personality and the effect they had on me where sown. Its only looking back that I realize how positive her example was on me. Despite a difficult class, a busy schedule and a snarky young man on the opposite side of the class room, i never once saw a frown, never once heard a complaint, nor once felt an ounce of hostility towards anyone.

A year went by, and again Lauren's quiet example slipped from my mind. But by some serendipitous event, I joined an old group of friends whose circle included not only Lauren, but a group of other girls just as influential. Again i did not immediately recognize that now growing bud of example, but now exposed more directly, that small thought of recognition began to flourish. It started with the kind compliments, and continued as my fragile ego began to be built again on the foundation of a true friend. My great epiphany did not happen however, until the night of our second football game. As we drove to deliver our friends homecoming dance request, i listened as i heard her recount her excitment for her date with a young man i knew was not her first choice. She did not need to be excited, noone would fault her if she had been dissapointed. But her complete and sincere willingness to put on a smile and make this young man's night eft an impression i shall never forget. While I could recount story after story of the things Lauren has taught me; I will leave that joy of discovery, that realization of budding example up to you, the reader, for that is the only way you will know what i say is true.

No comments: